[Tweeters] Kent otters & mergansers

MARVIN BREECE marvbreece at q.com
Sun Jan 1 09:55:47 PST 2023

Yesterday (12.31.22<http://12.31.0.22/>) six River Otters hunted and played in the chain-link pond at the intersection of Frager Rd and S 204th St in Kent. Taking video thru the chain-link was a challenge, and the results fall short of spectacular, but I'll share some of them anyway.

At one point. 3 HOODED MERGANSERS bolted from the far end of the pond and landed in the water at the near edge, close to me. I don't usually get very close to Hooded Mergansers, but I believe they didn't want to leave the pond, and they were more concerned with the otters than they were with me. You can see in the videos that they chose a location where they could monitor the otters and not get taken from below.
5 otter videos & 2 merganser videos: https://flic.kr/ps/376fhN<https://www.flickr.com/gp/138163614@N02/7QLVo4E0Nq>

Some may not believe that an otter would take a duck. On 10.18.19<http://10.18.0.19/> at Fir Island in Skagit County I observed a River Otter enter the water and swim toward an injured Snow Goose. After a struggle of a few minutes, the otter subdued the goose.
2 videos:
https://flic.kr/p/2hxn8HC

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA