[Tweeters] Burlington "Glaucous" Gull

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:29:06 PST 2023

Let me add to this. The bird appears to be a large leucistic gull with a
pale eye. Its mantle is not a typical Glaucous blue-gray, however pale. It
has some tan tones of other creamy white aberrant plumages. Its body
proportions, head shape, and bill shape (large and blob-ended with strong
gonydeal angle in some photos) are similar to the adjacent Olympic Gulls.
The one interesting thing is the pale eye, which is similar to the palest
Western Gull eyes. My guess is that it's a leucistic Olympic Gull, possibly
from the Western end of the spectrum. Another option is that the eye color
is somehow affected by whatever is going on with the plumage.

Some good pics of this interesting gull are here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S128455800
https://ebird.org/checklist/S128408545

--
​Steve Hampton​