[Tweeters] Followup - Trumpeters in the Skagit

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Thu Feb 16 20:37:06 PST 2023

Hi all,

Every morning since the first time earlier this week there
have been some swans over nighting on the Skagit (instead of at
Barney Lake?).

The location is East of the Gardner Road boat launch where that
large S-curve is. It is an easy walk on the dike to get there -
probably about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I recommend you go carefully as
you get near the big bend because they are just around the corner
and you may flush them before you want to. They also go up river
in the same backwater and get well behind the trees.
You will have to be there early. They leave for their day in
the flats (usually they go to the Burler Flats) and they are gone
by 8:30 or so. At least one morning we could see them early -
and then fog came in and covered that part of the river and by
the time the fog cleared they were gone. Nope, didn't see them
emerging out of the fog ... yet.

As I said before - this is the first time I've ever seen any
swans in this particular section of the river ... and they seem to
like it and have decided "it's a good place to spend the night".
It is my opinion that there are as many as 40% to 60% more swans
here in Skagit County than any of the previous 3 years.
Question - does a group of swans spending a night on this
part of the river mean they've gone round the bend? *G*
- Jim