[Tweeters] Nest box question

Marcy D'Addio marcydaddio89 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:24:52 PST 2023

My husband found a dead Chestnut-backed Chickadee in a nestbox on a tree in
our backyard. Both the bird and the nest material appear fresh, not what I
would expect if last year's nest. We had been observing nesting activity by
2 Chestnut-backed Chickadees. We thought it was early and checked out the
box. He found grass, green moss, animal fur, and cotton from the
hummingbird ball in the nest, box is not damaged.. Bird has no signs of
trauma, is dessicated, eyes missing.
Questions
What could cause this? Could it be Avian flu? How should we clean the box?
Should we report or send for testing?
Marcy D'Addio
Redmond, WA