[Tweeters] Salton Sea

dick at dkporter.net dick at dkporter.net
Sun Feb 12 13:22:30 PST 2023

We were Snowbirds for 6 winters in the Coachella Valley and I birded the Salton Sea quite a bit. Here's a list of Ebird Hotspots that would give you almost all the birds seen on or around the Sea in February/March. We were last there in 2020 and I know the Sea continues to recede. There is a full-service campground at the State Park headquarters on the NE side and camping also available at a couple of sites (Covina and Mecca) just south of there. A Scope is necessary to view out on the Sea and up and down the shoreline. And don't be afraid to follow the paved areas or solid roads to get closer to the water (don't try driving the dikes on the South End nor going on the sand - I've been stuck!)

NORTHEAST
BEST - Salton Sea SRA - Headquarters and Campground (look for birds around the Entrance Kiosk area also)
Also - Salton Sea - Northshore Marina
And - Salton Sea SRA - Salt Creek Beach (check out towards the North where the creek came in .)

EAST SIDE
BEST - Sonny Bono Salton Sea NWR - Union Tract/Visitor Center (take the Rock Hill trail out to the sea and towards the North, worth 2 hours of your time.)
Also - Salton Sea - Garst Rd/Morton Bay
And - there are numerous hotspots around the Southeast side and South end, you can drive along the breakwaters and between the agricultural fields, check Ebird for recent rarities, including Plovers.

SOUTH END
BEST - Sonny Bono Salton Sea NWR - Vendel Road
BEST - Sonny Bono Salton Sea NWR - Unit 1

WEST SIDE
Nothing worth spending your time on unless you want to see remnants of a 1950s recreation land boom.

NORTHWEST CORNER
BEST - Salton Sea - 84th Ave (the sea used to come right up to the road end, now you will have to walk out a fair bit to get a look at the birds - best views to the North.
Also - Oasis - Aqua Farming Technology Ponds. Just drive in the driveway, park and look around for workers. I was never accosted, I just asked politely if I could bird - no problem

For some much prettier birding Hotspots north and west of the Coachella Valley try Whitewater Preserve, Big Morongo Preserve and San Jacinto Wildlife area.

Good birding,
Dick