[Tweeters] the almost crepuscular thrush

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 08:37:52 PST 2023

This reminds me of a magic moment some years ago during the CBC at Discovery Park. My 14 year old son and I arrived about two hours before sunrise for the “Owl Prowl” portion. No owls were encountered but as we returned to the parking lot about a 30 minutes before daybreak, we heard the whistle of a VATH. Following that flute-like call we could barely make out the faint profile of two birds scratching and poking the margins of the underbrush.

BTW, we still have a few in our yard, gorging on pyracantha berries, along with their cousins the American Robins. Nowhere near the numbers we saw during the ‘big freeze’, though.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA