[Tweeters] Marymoor Park yesterday

birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Fri Feb 10 08:15:34 PST 2023

Tweets - We had a great day at Marymoor yesterday, with ridiculously good weather.  Temps were in the high 40's, no wind, thin high overcast, essentially no precipitation (about two dozen drops per person, spread out over time).  It was birdy too.  Most of the birds were the expected ones, but we did have some nice surprises too.

Highlights:

-> Trumpeter Swan - Six silent swans over the start of the boardwalk. Neck extension appeared too long for Tundras (and Trumpeter area the expected species at Marymoor)  First of Year (FOY)
-> Northern Pintail - One flyby female at the Lake Platform (FOY)
-> Great Blue Heron - Quite a few on the nests, with one bird adjusting some twigs.  Nest rebuilding will begin in earnest soon.
-> Western Screech-Owl - One heard, seen predawn.  Then during the main walk, one sitting in the nest hole, nicely visible in daylight!
-> Northern Flicker - Large amounts of calling, interacting, drumming, etc.  Quite a few birds total, I believe
-> Marsh Wren - One sang a partial song predawn from along the boardwalk
-> Varied Thrush - One, maybe two, at the start of the boardwalk
-> Cedar Waxwing - Flock of eleven atop tall cottonwood at Dog Central (FOY)
-> NO FINCHES AGAIN
-> Lincoln's Sparrow - One in Pea Patch

We also had RIVER OTTER on the far side of the slough, and a RACCOON (FOY) high up in a cottonwood near the east end of the boardwalk

For the day, 54 species.

= Michael Hobbs
BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm