[Tweeters] Pigeon Guillemot in Breeding Plumage in Early February?

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 09:14:55 PST 2023

You're so right, Michael; my bad. I don't know where my head was when I wrote that, not that I haven't seen so many of those white-flanked birds every year. If only tweeters accepted photos, I would have of course remembered that as soon as I picked out photos to illustrate my comments.

So next question: when do these gorgeous birds go to their breeding sites? I assume they don't pair up until they are at their nest sites. And why do Pelagics signal from their flanks, when the other cormorants don't seem to need that? Something about a big white spot at a cliff nest site showing that it's inhabited?

Dennis