[Tweeters] Bird ID from sound...and friendly Stellars Jay

itomas at onebox.com itomas at onebox.com
Tue May 31 07:03:35 PDT 2022

Sometimes, in early summer mornings, in the Snoqualmie Valley, in a tall cedar tree just outside my house, there is a bird sound I can't identify. I don't think I've ever even seen this bird. The sound is always a rapid, six-note staccato call...reminding me of, "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs"...always the same six notes. Any ideas?

Another question, this time about a particular Stellars Jay...Last September, an unusually friendly Stellars Jay came to visit me where I sat on my deck in Fall City. He came close, unafraid and seemed completely tame, poking his beak inside a box just two feet away from where I sat, pushing a stick through one side of the lid of the box and walking around to the other side to pull it out. Then he proceeded to eat several sunflower seeds right from my hand, before flying away. Are there domesticated Stellar Jays out there? This one only appeared that one time.
Tomas Walsh
Fall City, WA