[Tweeters] Red-Winged Blackbird California Bicolor?

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Mon May 23 10:30:52 PDT 2022

Nancy,

Quite a few female Red-winged Blackbirds have reddish throats, including in this region. I don't know if they are territorially dominant to other females or if there is any other advantage in that color, but it is widely present in a small proportion of females. Looking at a tray full of female redwing specimens from Washington in the Slater Museum right now, I see around 10-15% of the females have pinkish to reddish throats.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle