[Tweeters] There are still Snow Geese!

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun May 8 18:21:03 PDT 2022

Hi,
My wife and I are still finding Snow Geese on the Samish Flats.
On Friday they were near the T, today they were in a field out
from the West 90. The flock is about 300-500 birds and by far
the largest group of them are younger - probably birds that
fledged out last year. Perhaps the younger ones aren't in a
hurry to move North because for them the first year is a
gathering rather than a "rave"? I don't know how long it
takes for a Snow Goose to be sexually active.

I checked eBird and others are seeing them also. In fact,
just on Friday I saw a larger group on Fir Island as well as
the ones on the Samish Flats.

****

I have been reporting them on eBird and it says "rare" and
demands I document them more than simply saying I saw some
and then doesn't put them up right away.
This, to me at least, is one of the weaker points of eBird
simply because if others are reporting them then it shouldn't
be marking mine as "rare". Or at least accepting the checklist
and putting it in the part of eBird that is "confirmed".
I had this happen last year with a Great Egret at Ship that was
getting multiple reports a day - including mine - many with
photos. Phooey.
- Jim in Burlington