[Tweeters] County Year List Project update for Jan/Feb 2022, up at WA Birder

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 27 16:12:56 PDT 2022

Hi hi

A little late, but here’s the first bi-monthly update of the 2022 County Year List Project. Most compilers sent in updates with their county list through the end of February.

As of the end of Feb,
As of the end of February, 249 species had been reported across the state, 225 in Western WA and 193 in Eastern WA.

The state total [249] is 8 lower than the end-feb totals in 2021,1 below 2020s total..

The Western WA total [225] was 11 lower than last year, but 9 higher than 2020.

The Eastern WA total [193] this year was 8 lower than last year, and 1 lower than 2020.

The best bird for this period would likely be the Snohomish Whooper Swan. [The Red-flanked Bluetail only arrived well after the end of Feb, but is pretty likely to be the best of next update…]. We also had the Seattle Hoary Redpoll that many were able to see, a Common Grackle in Pasco, and a handful of semi-rare gulls around. We didn’t seem to have had any Yellow-bellied or even Red-naped Sapsuckers in the state over these months, and now we wait to see what spring migration brings.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wabirder.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs0fsTalPg$>

A direct link to the 2022 county yearlist & the list of county compilers:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs1RTwhszA$>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to begin to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA