[Tweeters] large Caspian Tern colony near Pt Townsend

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:21:03 PDT 2022

Today I counted 510 Caspian Terns and estimated probably 1000 attending a
colony on Rat Island off the northern tip of Indian Island. This island is
also called the Marrowstone Wildlife Mgmt Area on some maps. I was viewing
from the tip of the spit at Ft Flagler campground on Marrowstone Island at
a minus tide.

The colony was very active, with many birds making obvious provisioning
flights, carrying fish and landing in the thick of the colony, which is
largely hidden behind tall grasses along the top of the island.

Presumably these are terns relocated from the Columbia River and elsewhere.

Pics, including one of a prey fish, are here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S114112413

good birding,

--
Steve Hampton