[Tweeters] Black-capped Chickadees--2nd Brood

Deborah West olyclarinet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:24:47 PDT 2022

We have had Black-capped Chickadees raise a brood in the bird box every year for the last six years. This year I heard the nestlings around May 19-20 after which time we went on a vacation and returned on June 1. I expected them to fledge right before we returned or maybe right after.

I am now hearing and seeing the behavior of a pair when one is sitting on eggs—the calling and then bringing food into the bird box. Would this be a second brood by the same pair or another pair finding the box? For all the other years the chickadees have been done with their nesting by this time.

Deborah
Olympia