[Tweeters] California Gull Migration

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:39:20 PDT 2022

Hello Tweets,
Gary's post reminded me of an experience I'd wanted to share from a
few weeks ago. Like Gary, I've often enjoyed flocks of California
gulls heading west over my home in July. I've always assumed these are
birds dispersing west to marine waters after they breed east of the
mountains, but I'd always been curious what this migration actually
looked like in the Cascades. On July 10th I was in Leavenworth eating
lunch with my family when my wife pointed out a large group of
circling birds over the river. It was, in fact, a group of over 100
California Gulls. They circled for a bit, gaining altitude, before
moving upriver and disappearing up Tumwater Canyon towards Steven's
Pass.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA