[Tweeters] Harry Nehls passes

Jeff Gilligan jeffgilligan10 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 09:41:42 PDT 2022

Although long known for his contributions to birding in Oregon, he had Washington connections as well. He was the long-time co-editor of the Audubon Field Notes PAC NW summary, which included Washington. He sometimes birded in Washington as well. As a kid, I got a ride from him on a Portland Audubon field trip to the newly acquired Ledbetter Point section of what became Willapa NWR.. It was led by Dave Marshall, who over-saw its acquisition, as he had of the Julia Butler NWR, and others. Years later, Harry made what was then a shocking find of something like 18 breeding plumage Bar-tailed Godwits near the parking lot there in early June - if my memory serves me correctly.