[Tweeters] Bird bath deicing heater a hit with bathing birds

dgrainger at birdsbydave.com dgrainger at birdsbydave.com
Sat Dec 24 12:48:23 PST 2022

To keep the water open, free of ice, during these cold nights and days,
Pat put a heater in the bowl of our larger bird bath. That has produced
a lot of traffic, perhaps because it results in a water source, but I
suspect also because of the low level warmth. I have watched a couple of
Juncos hover and land repeatedly on it. It is placed in the center. Most
other times birds seem to land on the rim, but now they often land right
on the warm heater. It is a couple of inches wide by eight long and is a
little more than an inch thick. We have an outdoor cord running from a
GFI protected outdoor outlet to keep it cozy.

Big users are bathing robins; today (12/24) there was a varied thrush on
the heater who also took a long splashy bath.