birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 17:59:37 PDT 2022

Tweets – It was colder and darker that we would have hoped for this morning, but the rain stopped at about 5:30 a.m. (before the walk), and we never got more than a few drops after that. It was pretty birdy, with a good mix of lingering winter birds and spring arrivals, but the birds were not always terribly cooperative.

Highlights: (FOY) = First of Year for the survey. Most of our FOY birds had been seen in the park already before today
a.. Cackling Goose – low flyover of a flock of 50+. We’ve only ever had 5 later sightings in April, and none in May
b.. American Wigeon – several on grass soccier fields. Still 9 species of wintering ducks total
c.. Wilson’s Snipe – about 5 in the slough below the weir. These might stick around 1-2 more weeks
d.. Great Blue Herons – eggshells on the ground under the heronry, “grum grum grum” baby noises from the nests
e.. Northern Harrier – one over the East Meadow – (FOY)
f.. Purple Martin – one in a gourd – (FOY)
g.. Cliff Swallow – several over the lake, seen from the Lake Platform (FOY)
h.. American Pipit – eleven flew over the Viewing Mound and landed in the East Meadow (FOY)
i.. GRASSHOPPER SPARROW – still returning to the mowed grass trail, NE part of the East Meadow – New for the park Tuesday.
j.. Fox Sparrow – down to just one, heard only
k.. White-crowned Sparrow – quite numerous (25+), with all but one or two being Gambelii
l.. Lincoln’s Sparrow – one in the Pea Patch (FOY)
m.. Western Meadowlark – two in the East Meadow
n.. Brown-headed Cowbird – at least four or five (FOY)
o.. Yellow-rumped Warbler - 50+, with about 1-in-8 being Myrtle, the rest Audubon’s. They were everywhere
p.. Black-throated Gray Warbler – one heard singing across the slough from the windmill (FOY)
Misses today included Pied-billed Grebe, Hairy Woodpecker, Belted Kingfisher, and Hermit Thrush.

For the day, 69 species.

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com