[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 11-18-2021

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Nov 19 19:25:13 PST 2021

Tweeters,

On Thursday (11/18) at JBLM Eagles Pride GC we managed to dodge the bullets of rain that started about an hour after we finished our monthly birdwalk - lucky us! The cloudy skies and low temperatures (39degF start - 45degF finish) may have led to the low numbers of birds (although not number of species for this time of year at this site) that the 11 of us saw, but we did have some fun both during the "round" and afterwards at our usual go-to birds-and-brew checklist updating at the Nisqually Bar&Grill. Highlights included the following:

- While looking at a distant COOPER'S HAWK fly off from the top of a Douglas-fir, a nearby SHARP-SHINNED HAWK took off from a Garry oak, flying across the fairway. We had good looks at both adult birds, which was the first time we had two species of accipiters during a walk.

- 16 NORTHERN SHOVELERS at Hodge Lake was a walk high

- 4 FOX SPARROWS may be a count high

- The CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAY seen at on the blackberry patch near the driving range was the first seen away from the Hodge Lake area Misses today include Bufflehead, Pied-billed Grebe, and Brown Creeper.

Last bird of the day was one of the 70 Dark-eyed Juncos on the count.

Mammals include four black-tailed deer and a Douglas squirrel.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* December 16

* January 20

* February 17

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird PNW report:

34 species

Cackling Goose 35

Canada Goose 4

Wood Duck 1

Northern Shoveler 16 At Hodge Lake

American Wigeon 23 At Hodge Lake

Mallard 14 12 at Hodge Lake; 2 at the 12th hole pond

Ring-necked Duck 8 At Hodge Lake

Hooded Merganser 3 At Hodge Lake

Anna's Hummingbird 3

Great Blue Heron 1 At the 12th hole pond

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Flew from a nearby Garry oak next to the 14th fairway

Cooper's Hawk 1 Near the 14th fairway - in the near distance to the east

Bald Eagle 1

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 6

Steller's Jay 3

California Scrub-Jay 1 The first we've seen at the driving range area and not at Hodge Lake

American Crow 117 It appears as if there is a crow roosting site somewhere near Dupont - early morning crows fly from that direction toward the Billy Frank Jr., NWR.

Common Raven 2

Black-capped Chickadee 10

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 12

Bushtit 6

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 8

Golden-crowned Kinglet 7

Red-breasted Nuthatch 6

Pacific Wren 15

Bewick's Wren 37

European Starling 7

Varied Thrush 3

American Robin 10

Fox Sparrow 4 Could be a count high

Dark-eyed Junco 70

Song Sparrow 14

Spotted Towhee 6

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS97802555&data=04%7C01%7C%7C727ea9279cb1408b6aaf08d9abd4164e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637729749661107290%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=62kBDy66ret0hFOS71%2F1wm%2FUdgZhl55qFTfdze93xQw%3D&reserved=0

May all your birds be identified,
Denis DeSilvis

Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com