[Tweeters] Atkins Lake question

Jerry Tangren kloshewoods at outlook.com
Sun May 16 12:26:19 PDT 2021

The amount of water in Atkins Lake, and many of the other lakes on the Waterville Plateau, depends upon a variety of factors. The amount of precipitation is only one, but it has been very dry this past winter and spring. Another factor is crop rotation, which affects drainage into the low spots, such as Atkins Lake. Farmers on the Waterville Plateau only plant a specific field every other year as it takes two years of moisture to produce a suitable crop. So, yes, Atkins Lake as well as the ponds on Heritage Rd and others, come and go. When Atkins Lake is good, it’s very good. When it’s dry, the grower grows wheat.

—Jerry Tangren
East Wenatchee