[Tweeters] County Year List Project update for Jan/Feb 2021, up at WA Birder

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 18:14:21 PDT 2021

Hi Tweeters & Inland NW Birders -

Time for the first bi-monthly update of the 2021 County Year list Project. We’ve received updates from most [but not all] counties with details through the end of February. County compilers, especially for the under-birded counties, would appreciate receiving reports of any birds seen in their counties.

As of the end of February, 257 species had been reported across the state, 236 in Western WA and 201 in Eastern WA.

The state total [257] is 7 higher than the end-feb totals in 2020, 4 higher than 2019.

The Western WA total [236] was 20 higher than than last year, and 10 higher than 2019.

The Eastern WA total [201] this year was 7 higher than last year, and 10 higher than 2019.

When it comes to likely winter rarities, we’ve got the Winter Wren to be excited by, but not too much else. We benefited from some of the end-of-2020 rarities lingering over to the new year [Common Grackle & Yellow-bellied Sapsucker come to mind], but not too much surprising popped up.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wabirder.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs0fsTalPg$>

A direct link to the 2021 county yearlist & the list of county compilers:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs1RTwhszA$>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to begin to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA