birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:19:16 PDT 2021

Tweets – An overcast morning with warmer low temps and cooler high temps than we’ve been having. Also more breeze than is ideal, but not bad. In some ways is was kind of dark and quiet, especially early on. The species mix is slowly shifting away from “winter” birds. Not many surprises, but a good mix of birds. We again split into two groups, due to a large number of people, with Jordan leading the others in reverse.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – only one small flock of ~20
b.. American Wigeon – five at the lake; these will be leaving soon
c.. GREATER SCAUP – barely seen from Lake Platform, confirmed later. These were First of Year (FOY) for use
d.. Common Goldeneye – just one female, probably our last
e.. VAUX’S SWIFT – at least two, with a large mixed flock of Violet-green and Tree Swallows over the Pea Patch and slough – FOY
f.. American Coot – only one
g.. GREATER YELLOWLEGS – two landed just before the weir – FOY
h.. COMMON LOON – two on the lake, calling – FOY. This week and next are historically the best for COLO at Marymoor
i.. Pileated Woodpecker – one landed across the slough
j.. Merlin – seen by Jordan’s group
k.. Northern Rough-winged Swallow – two – FOY
l.. Hermit Thrush – one at the Rowing Club south pond – FOY. This week, and the next two, are the best week for HETH at Marymoor
m.. Red Crossbill – a couple of very small flyovers
n.. Lincoln’s Sparrow – one near the Viewing Mound
o.. White-crowned Sparrow – both Pugetenis and Gambelii singing
p.. Orange-crowned Warbler – pretty good numbers, with singing
q.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – dozens, nearly equally Myrtle and Audubon’s
r.. Black-throated Gray Warbler – some near the mansion
A good day for brief critter views, with Virginia Opossum, Eastern Gray Squirrel, American Beaver (predawn), Eastern Cottontail, River Otter, Mule Deer (Black-tailed), and a single Red-eared Slider at the Rowing Club.

A late scan of the lake, besides confirming the species of scaup, also turned up about five BARN SWALLOWS – FOY, and a HORNED GREBE.

Misses today included Pied-billed Grebe, Rock Pigeon, Double-crested Cormorant, Belted Kingfisher, Hairy Woodpecker, Cliff Swallow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and Fox Sparrow. Despite that, my group had 68 species and Jordan’s group had 55 species. Combining those with the Matt’s pre-dawn adventures and my late scan of the lake, and we came up with a combined 74 species with six new for the year!!!

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com