[Tweeters] Clark's Nutcracker, Discovery Park, Seattle

Conniebear Shellhouse conniebearshellhouse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:11:02 PDT 2021

Hi Tom et al, I managed to resight the CLNU at 10.54am. 30 mins after the
notification from John. No chance it was a NOMO. Good question though!
This bird had a terminal white band on it's secondaries and tertials, and
white outer rectrices that all sharply contrasted with it's black wings and
grey head. Incredible to see a Nutcracker at sea!! It's behavior was very
interesting. It flew in low to shore towards me, and hung out with the
gulls a bit about 20 feet above sea level and then it flew up into the
poplars. Then it flew out to sea very high, and after a minute it came back
to the trees. It hung around another 30 seconds and then it flew up super
high - and across the sound heading west to Bainbridge island going higher
and higher until it was a speck and then I couldn't resolve it any longer.
Was it heading to Bainbridge? It certainly looked like it was fighting the
wind to get across and maybe that's why it was trying to gain height. It
was an incredible sight. I have only really seen them in mountains, so they
were a great county first for me. I think I was the last person to see it
but I left Kathy and Arn Slattebak at the Lighthouse so maybe they caught
it later? I hung around another hour hoping it might come back, but had to
compensate with good views of two Marbled Murrelets instead. No photos from
me because I cannot carry my camera at this time, but I think JOPU (John
Puschock) Carl, and Raphael got photos and the shots are clearly CLNU on
Raphael's camera. I had great looks though with my 10x42 Nikons for
several minutes. Wow!

Nadine