[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - March 2020

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:03:05 PDT 2020

Hi Tweeters,

New year birds for March include Black Oystercatcher (code 4) on 3-21 on the waterfront ( a single bird flying south); Snow Goose (code 3) on Lake Ballinger (Edmonds) on 3-21; Rufous Hummingbird (code 2) on 3-12 in a private yard and at Southwest County Park; Osprey (code 2) on 3-25 at Haines Wharf Park; Savannah Sparrow (code 2) on 3-31 at Water Street; Violet-green Swallows on 3-19 at the Edmonds marsh.

Although overwintering Orange-crowned Warblers (code 1) were reported in two Edmonds yards in January, the first spring migrant was near the Willow Creek Hatchery on 3-28. Two local birders heard the north Edmonds Great Horned Owl (code 4) hooting in Southwest County Park in early March. The one that had been previously reported at Point Edwards was seen again on 3-9.

We are at 110 species for the year. Much of the Edmonds waterfront has been closed off to promote physical distancing. When I can get to the Olympic Beach Visitor Station, I will update the 2020 checklist in the bird information display case. Thanks to those of you who let me know about your Edmonds sightings.

Good birding and stay safe,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records