[Tweeters] A passel of Varied Thrush

mary hrudkaj mch1096 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 12:14:22 PDT 2020

When I got up from a session of quilting I was amazed to see a passel, in this case a passel equals 8, Varied Thrush feeding in the area outside my family/work room window. Often two or three might be around but this morning there must have been a late breakfast meeting of thrush. Sometimes when I go out early, just about the time birds can see to fly, I will hear two or three thrush calling from the immediate area. Their clear bell-like call piercing the cold morning air and making me momentarily forget the cold and rain.

Guess if we can't go to the birds we must enjoy the ones we have in our yards or on our daily walks. The one thing I'll miss this Spring is my annual trip to E. WA around Othello, down lower Crab Creek Rd and up onto Saddle Mountain just north of Mattawa as well as those favorite haunts of everyone around Cle Elum, down Hwy 10 to Ellensburg then down the Old Vantage Hwy to the Columbia. Sometimes we have to let our memories and/or our mind's eye envision where we'd all be and doing relative to birds this time of year.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya