[Tweeters] What bird book are you currently reading?

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:28:02 PDT 2020

I am currently reading Herbert Brandt "Arizona and its Bird Life",
published in 1951, 708 pages. He summarizes several trips to Arizona
between 1935 and 1947. It is a slow read, since he is a very descriptive
and detailed writer. Also interesting are bird names, either they have
changed or they are subspecies. I previously read "Alaska Bird Trails" by
the same author, published in 1943, "only" 453 pages. It describes the
first birding expedition to Hooper Bay, Askinuk Mountains, Yukon Delta
Region of Alaska in 1922, traveling by dog sled at -40 degrees to get there
for spring. I birded the same general area 56 and 57 years later - arriving
by bush plane! - Otherwise backyard birding today is great with 12 species,
the best a male Townsend's Warbler. I had 5 females yesterday.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:06 PM Nan <billnan321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are not reading as much as catching up on data. We are compiling rarity

> data for the Lower Columbia Basin and uploading historic data to eBird. It

> does pass the time.

> Bill and Nancy LaFramboise

> Richland, WA

> Sent from my iPhone

> > On Mar 27, 2020, at 6:55 AM, Lonnie Somer <mombiwheeler at gmail.com>

> wrote:

> > Hi Tweeters,

> > Since we are housebound, I thought it might be nice to inform each other

> what bird books we are currently reading. I'm about halfway through "The

> Search for the Pink Headed Duck" by Rory Nugent, in which the author

> describes his adventures in India searching for this species which hadn't

> been been sighted for several decades and was possibly extinct. It's

> actually more about his adventures than birds, but is still a fun read. It

> was originally published back in 1991 but was reissued in 2011

> (self-published, I believe).

> > I'll work on a list of bird books to share that came out last year and

> thus far this year that I've acquired (mostly unread at this point) some

> time in the coming week. I find myself with less than 2 weeks to convert

> three courses into an online format (I teach Anthropology at a community

> college) and then master presenting them, so am going a bit batty.

> > Good reading!

> > Lonnie Somer

> > Seattle (where we have always tended to keep wide social distances)

*Hans Feddern*
Twin Lakes/Federal Way, WA
thefedderns at gmail.com