[Tweeters] Sooty Grouse Baker River Trail

STEVEN ELLIS sremse at comcast.net
Sat Mar 21 19:04:05 PDT 2020

We hiked a couple of miles up the Baker River Trail in an unsuccessful search for Mountain Goats on the "back side" of Mt. Shuksan. About 1/ 2 a mile in we could hear a Sooty Grouse male start its spring warm up with the "whump,whump"call. It was coming from high up the ridge to the west of the trail.

We had a dozen bird species, all common stuff such as Varied Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglets. The biggest surprise of all were several brightly colored California Tortoiseshell butterflies. The nearest ceanothus, their host plant, must be east of the Picket Range. It's only the 2nd time I've seen one on the west side. I also spotted a Satyr Comma.

if you go:beware the last few miles of road. There are large holes that make the drive interesting.

A lovely day but as the saying goes,"No goats, no glory".
----Steve Ellis
sremse at comcast.net mailto:sremse at comcast.net
Coupeville,Wa