[Tweeters] Orcas Island 3/19-3/20

Xander Sowers sowersalexander1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 10:27:06 PDT 2020

Hey Tweets, here are a couple notable birds i’ve gotten while spending time
up on Orcas trying to avoid the virus :/

3/19, Turtleback Mt.
- 1 Adult Golden Eagle, my second one here in about 3 years. Surprisingly
flew over chased by some ravens during our decent from the West Overlook.

3/19, Wildwood Loop
- 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl tooting non-stop from behind our cabin.

3/20, Coho Preserve
- 1 American Dipper foraging in the creek in the Coho Preserve. Dippers
are very rare in the San Juan’s except at a few spots around Moran State
Park.

3/20, Turtleback Mt: Hike up to the West Overlook with my dad looking for
owls.
- 1 Western Screech-Owl constantly singing from forest below Ship Peak.
Certainly unexpected given that Turtleback is made up of relatively thick
coniferous forest.
- 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl tooting a couple times down by the screech-owl.

3/21, Wildwood Loop
- Singing Savannah Sparrows!
- and plenty of Violet-green Swallows.

Good birding, Alex Sowers