[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 03-19-2020

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Mar 20 11:40:33 PDT 2020

Tweeters,

The first day of Spring dawned cold (29degF) at the start, but bright sunshine warmed it up (to 48degF) and made it fine day for birding for the nine of us at JBLM Eagles Pride Golf Course. (This included a birder trekking in from Port Angeles to attend.) Although the "formal" trip was canceled, during this "informal" trip we maintained safe practices and social distancing to ensure we were in compliance with ongoing coronavirus limitations. Highlights included the following: FOY TURKEY VULTURE; two HERMIT THRUSHES; 35 STELLER'S JAYS (likely harassing an unseen owl); the Hodge Lake RED-TAILED HAWKS copulating and the male subsequently breaking off and bringing a stick to the nest site; FOY TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS; FOY PINE SISKINS; and 9 HUTTON'S VIREOS.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* April 16 (may still be an "informal" trip - will advise)

* May 21

* June 18

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird PNW report:

42 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 2

Mallard 6

Ring-necked Duck 3

Bufflehead 17

Pied-billed Grebe 2 Hodge Lake - could have a breeding pair here again

Band-tailed Pigeon 2

Mourning Dove 1

Anna's Hummingbird 7

Turkey Vulture 1 FOY - over the driving range area

Cooper's Hawk 1

Bald Eagle 2

Red-tailed Hawk 4 The Hodge Lake pair copulated, and then the male broke off a branch and brought it to the nest site. This is likely at least one of the pair that successfully fledged two young last year.

Red-breasted Sapsucker 1

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 6

Hutton's Vireo 9 Heard at various areas around the golf course

Steller's Jay 35

California Scrub-Jay 2

American/Northwestern Crow 6

Common Raven 5

Black-capped Chickadee 11

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 26

Tree Swallow 3

Violet-green Swallow 3

Bushtit 2

Golden-crowned Kinglet 8

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4

Red-breasted Nuthatch 4

Brown Creeper 3

Pacific Wren 15

Bewick's Wren 3

European Starling 3

Varied Thrush 7

Hermit Thrush 2

American Robin 60

House Finch 7

Pine Siskin 13

Fox Sparrow 1

Dark-eyed Junco 18

Song Sparrow 13

Spotted Towhee 10

Red-winged Blackbird 11

Yellow-rumped Warbler 5

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S66011254

Stay safe, and may all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis
avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com