[Tweeters] Heron nests in Magnolia

Daoud Miller Daoud_Miller at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 12:45:40 PDT 2020

Hello Connie and tweets,

I believe the Magnolia site you are referring to is in Kiwanis Ravine (also known as Kiwanis Memorial Preserve Park) — located south of Commodore Park & Ballard Locks, east of Fort Lawton Cemetery/Discovery Park. I heard the herons abandoned the site due to eagle predation.

Heron Habitat Helpers (https://www.heronhelpers.org/the-season-begins/ <https://www.heronhelpers.org/the-season-begins/>) monitored the herons and worked to restore and protect Kiwanis Ravine for many years. They continue to support & restore the ravine and focus attention on the heron rookery that re-established itself in Commodore Park to the north.

I recommend contacting folks at HHH for additional details about habitat preservation there.

Daoud Miller
daoud_miller AT comcast.net