[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 4 March 2020

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Wed Mar 4 22:53:32 PST 2020

Nice morning to be at the park, though, with the good weather, the number of off-leash dogs is really aggravating. The chilly morning warmed up nicely during the morning and there was plenty of avian activity with lots of singing and courting rituals. Hard to believe that next weekend is already daylight savings time; don’t think the birds care. Some notables ...

Common Goldeneye - at least 80, more than I’ve ever seen in the park; lots of posturing and grunting and calling as they go through their head thrown back rituals
Grebes - besides the several Pied-billed in the ponds, single Horned and Red-necked; with the chop on the lake, couldn’t find any Western
Killdeer - we often have a dozen or so hanging out on the north beach but today there were a few in their traditional breeding spot on the bark berm by the wetlands
Herring Gull - a couple were hanging out with all the other gulls on Kite Hill which seems to be the preferred feeding spot now
Barn Owl - one was hissing in the front-porch box; young already? and another was seen hunting in the meadows several times
https://youtu.be/R-xo2KLXUAs <https://youtu.be/R-xo2KLXUAs>
Belted Kingfisher - a pair are now regular in the park though we haven’t found where they have been nesting after the Cooper’s Hawk took up residence in their territory a couple years ago
Downy Woodpecker - several; a couple were doing the classic Downy drumming pattern
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - at least 20, many with their ruby crowns flashing and lots of singing
Sparrows - 3 zonotrichia today; white-crowned have been hard to come by this winter but a white-throated has been pretty regular on the south fence line; image is from this weekend when the same bird was in the same place as today
https://flic.kr/p/2iARvVb <https://flic.kr/p/2iARvVb>

For the day, 50 species.
Scott Ramos
Seattle