[Tweeters] Albuquerque, New Mexico: Request for Birding Recommendations

Mason Flint masonflint at outlook.com
Wed Jan 29 09:31:02 PST 2020

You should still have a decent chance of seeing all three species of Rosy-Finch at Sandia Crest in March. That’s about an hour drive from Albuquerque, despite being visible from anywhere in town.

March should also still be good at Bosque del Apache NWR which is a world class spot for wintering waterfowl, cranes, raptors and lots of other birds. It’s about 90 minutes from Albuquerque. You’ll want to arrive before dawn so may want to spend the night in nearby Socorro if you go.

If you go to Santa Fe, the Santa Fe Canyon Preserve is nice. Juniper Titmouse, bluebirds, reasonable chance for Pinyon Jay. Stop at The Shed for lunch and order a #5 - arrive early or walk around the plaza while you wait for a table.

Reach out if you want a recommendation for a guide. I have a friend who lives near Albuquerque who guides and will likely show you around if he’s not guiding somewhere out of state.

March isn’t peak birding season there but I’m a big fan of New Mexico for birding, beauty and culture. I’ve reminded my birding pals more than once that the New Mexico list trails only California, Texas, and Arizona in accepted species. It’s hard to stand out when you have Arizona on your left and Texas on your right but more people should check New Mexico out. 😁

Mason Flint
Bellevue