[Tweeters] Swallows on Edmonds Waterfront

Barry Brugman bbrug15 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:51:18 PST 2020

This morning between 10:30 and 11, I was on Sunset Avenue, north of the
ferry terminal in Edmonds, and a small group (4 to 6) of swallows flew by.
They were swooping around over the beach, working their way along the
cliff. I first saw them working their way south, then they came back north
in a few minutes, then once more going south.

The looked like juvenile Barn Swallows to me - dark on top, white
underneath, with slightly forked tails. It is early for swallows, but I
have seen Barn Swallows around here in January before, in previous years,
so maybe it isn't all that unusual.

Has anyone else seen Barn Swallows this month around the Seattle area? I
only saw one report on eBird, from early in the month.

Barry Brugman
Kirkland