birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 19:54:37 PST 2020

Tweets – It was wet, but the rain was not nonstop, and the day was warm (50 degrees – in January!) And it was pretty birdy, surprisingly enough.

Highlights:
a.. Wood Duck – pair in slough near Lake Platform
b.. Greater Scaup – we think – one 1st winter female
c.. Pied-billed Grebe – at least 40 on the lake, maybe 5 more in the slough
d.. Virginia Rail – one heard SE of Viewing Mound pre-dawn. First of Year (FOY)
e.. California Gull – at least one in large gull flock on grass soccer fields (FOY)
f.. ICELAND (THAYER’S) GULL – one in same flock (FOY)
g.. 5 species of gull total – Mostly Mew Gulls, a few Ring-bills, and many Glaucous-winged and “Olympic” gulls
h.. Green Heron – one at Rowing Club
i.. Western Screech-Owl – Matt heard one in “Mysterious Thicket” well pre-dawn
j.. SHORT-EARED OWL – one in East Meadow around 7:30 a.m.
k.. 4 woodpecker species – but only 1-2 of each. Okay, maybe 3 flickers
l.. HERMIT THRUSH – one just south of Dog Area along slough trail (FOY)
m.. House Finch – one singing bird (unseen) was our only finch of any kind
Singing birds included Anna’s Hummingbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Bewick’s Wren, House Finch, and Red-winged Blackbird.

Misses included Ring-necked Duck, Hooded Merganser, Cooper’s Hawk, Bushtit, and Marsh Wren

For the day, 56 species!

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com