[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Samish trip 20 Jan 2020

B P Bell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Tue Jan 21 10:16:27 PST 2020

Hi Tweets

Yesterday, a group from Seattle Audubon took a trip to the Samish and Skagit
Flats. We started early under dark skies and light rain - it finally began
to get light north of Everett and along I-5 we saw AMERICAN CROW, RED-TAILED
HAWK and a small group of PINE SISKIN.

We did have HOUSE SPARROW at the Smokey Point Rest Area. A quick detour at
the Conway exit let us pick up RED-TAILED HAWK, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD and a
single DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT flyover. In a field off John Nelson Rd.
(with no rain) there was a large flock of TRUMPETER SWAN and mixed were
several TUNDRA SWAN - visible among the swans were NORTHERN PINTAIL and
AMERICAN WIGEON, a distant RED-TAILED HAWK. Two BALD EAGLEs lifted everyone
off. Along Cedardale Rd. there were EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN CROW, and
GREAT BLUE HERON.

We took the turn to Chuckanut Dr. and saw RED-TAILED HAWK and AMERICAN
KESTREL. Along Pulver Rd. there were SONG SPARROW, AMERICAN ROBIN, DARK-EYED
JUNCO, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, HOUSE SPARROW and
AMERICAN KESTREL. Most of the birds were in yards. On Sam Bell Rd. were more
EUROPEAN STARLINGs, DARK-EYED JUNCO and AMERICAN CROW. At Allen (just off
Allen-West Rd.) we saw a single EUROSIAN COLLARED-DOVE and GLAUCOUS-WINGED
GULL, a single RING-BILLED GULL, a couple of CALIFORNIA GULLs, and an
ICELAND (THAYER'S) GULL.

On Ershig Rd. we found EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, gulls, AMERICAN CROW, BALD
EAGLE, EUROPEAN STARLING, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, some MEW GULLs, NORTHERN
PINTAIL, CALIFORNIA GULL, MALLARD, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, and a perched
PEREGRINE FALCON. On Worline Rd. EUROPEAN STARLING, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD and HOUSE FINCH. At the house with feeders on BOW
CEMETARY RD. we saw DARK-EYED JUNCO, SPOTTED TOWHEE, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE,
BALD EAGLE, COMMON RAVEN, MALLARD . On Bow Hill Rd. more TRUMPETER SWANs,
BALD EAGLE ( it was looking like a good day for Bald Eagles), RED-TAILED
HAWK, distant gulls, AMERICAN CROW, COMMON RAVEN, and MALLARD.

We stopped on Chuckanut Dr. to scan a large group of ducks and had about a
thousand AMERICAN WIGEON, including 10 EURASIAN WIGEON, NORTHRN PINTAIL,
GREAT BLUE HERON, CALIFORNIA GULL, EUROPEAN STARLING. Further along the road
were ROCK PIGEON and AMERICAN KESTREL. As we turned onto Legg Rd. there was
an ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD at a feeder. On Blanchard Rd. were SONG SPARROW,
BUFFLEHEAD, GREAT BLUE HERON, BALD EAGLE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, EUROPEAN
STARLING, NORTHERN FLICKER, HOUSE FINCH and RED-TAILED HAWK.

We made a stop in Edison at the Bread Farm for goodies, and with a light
shower. There were GREEN-WINGED TEAL along the slough, and HOUSE SPARROW and
EUROPEAN STARLING. On Bayview-Edison Rd. (still showers) were more
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, MALLARD, BALD EAGLE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, NORTHERN
PINTAIL, RED-TAILED HAWK, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, NORTHERN SHRIKE, COMMON RAVEN,
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT, AMERICAN KESTREL, SONG SPARROW and STELLER'S JAY.

At the West 90 the shower tapered off and we saw BALD EAGLE, ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWK, GREAT BLUE HERON, WESTERN MEADOWLARK, NORTHERN HARRIER (male and
probable imm. male), and a very distant NORTHERN SHRIKE. Along Samish Island
Rd. were more BALD EAGLEs, GREAT BLUE HERON, and EUROPEAN STARLING.

We made a lunch stop at the access area on Wharf Rd. and saw WHITE-WINGED
SCOTER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, HORNED GREBE, RED-NECKED GREBE, SURF SCOTER,
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, COMMON LOON, PACIFIC LOON, RED-THROATED LOON,
BUFFLEHEAD, BRANT and a small flock of unidentified passerines. Leaving
Samish Island and continuing south on Bayview-Edison Rd. were more BALD
EAGLEs. On LaConner-Whitney Rd. were RED-TAILED HAWK, TRUMPETER SWAN,
EUROPEAN STARLING, and BALD EAGLE.

Along Channel Rd. we didn't expect much as the tide was very high, but we
did manage to find BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, HOUSE FINCH, HOUSE SPARROW,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, HOODED MERGANSER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, BUFFLEHEAD,
BELTED KINGFISHER, GREAT BLUE HERON, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, and EURASIAN
COLLARED-DOVE. More EUROPEAN STARLINGs along Dodge Valley Rd. At the feeders
at Rancho Valentine we was DOWNY WOODPECKER, BROWN CREEPER, CHESTNUT-BACKED
CHICKADEE, SONG SPARROW, SPOTTED TOWHEE, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and HOUSE
FINCH.

Along Rawlins Rd., and at the end, we saw BALD EAGLE, EUROPEAN STARLING,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, thousands of SNOW GOOSE in the bay, NORTHERN SHOVELER,
GREAT BLUE HERON, GADWALL, NORTHERN HARRIER (it started to shower again). On
Maupin Rd. were BALD EAGLE, RED-TAILED HAWK, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, EUROPEAN
STARLING, and TRUMPETER SWAN. On Jensen Rd. were flyover SNOW GOOSE, BALD
EAGLE.

At our final stop at the Hayton Reserve with still high water levels there
were BALD EAGLE, hundreds (if not thousands) of DUNLIN, and many many
MALLARDs, NORTHERN PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, some
BUFFLEHEAD, a consistent PEREGRINE FALCON perched on the huge snag in the
water, and a SONG SPARROW.

In spite of the overcast, occasional showers and later a bit of wind, it was
a good day with good observers. We finished with 67 specie4s for the day.

Good Birding

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville Wa

Mail to bell asoc a t iso me dia dot com