[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - December 2019

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 11:59:30 PST 2020

Greetings Tweeters,

One new year bird was seen in December, a Great Horned Owl (code 4) at Point Edwards on 12-9. It has been many years since we have had a confirmed sighting of this species from a birder. I have occasionally encountered residents (nonbirders) who have thought they heard a Great Horned Owl. When I have asked them to make a cell phone recording and email it to me, none has been forthcoming. So we have been left with unconfirmed possibilities.

We had some big 2019 misses among our code 3 species: Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, Baird’s Sandpiper, Cliff Swallow, Yellow-headed Blackbird, and Bullock’s Oriole.

We ended 2019 with 182 species. A big thanks to all of you who share your Edmonds sightings with me. They really help us develop an accurate year list. The year list is maintained in the bird information display case at the Olympic Beach Visitor Station at the base of the public pier. I have posted a 2020 year list and will endeavor to keep it up to date.

At some point we will have a revised checklist that reflects 276 species, including Slaty-backed Gull and American Tree Sparrow. When it is available, I will let you know.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records