[Tweeters] ABA Code of Birding Ethics

J. Acker owler at sounddsl.com
Sun Jan 19 17:05:03 PST 2020

Tweeters,
I for one was disappointed with the release of the recently updated ABA Code of Ethics, specifically Section 1b concerning the use of recordings. When the ABA was soliciting input on proposed changes last fall, I provided feedback and informed them of the illegality of the use of playback in National Parks as well that the use of playback targeted for Spotted Owls is considered harassment. I requested that they consider rewriting 1b to provide stronger language. In my opinion, the ABA wimped out when they provided the “guidance” in Section 1b that the use of playback should be “limited… in heavily birded areas, for species that are rare in the area, and for species that are threatened or endangered.” This statement has no backbone and provides no support whatsoever for the birder in the field confronted with a situation in which playback is being targeted against an individual bird. (Think Havillah Great Gray Owl or a Spotted Owl). The ABA committee responsible for the Code of Ethics may as well have neglected even mentioning playback as a topic of ethical concern, as what they provided has no meaning, as the word “limited” is debatable. The ABA of all organizations should be at the forefront of protecting birds, especially those that are threatened, endangered or under stress, but this particular section of the revised code does not appear to put the bird’s interests first. I had hoped that the leadership at ABA would lead rather than follow the tide.

J. Acker
owler at sounddsl.com
Bainbridge Island, WA