[Tweeters] Washington County Year List Project 2019 summary & 2020 launch

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 10:11:19 PST 2020

Hi Tweeters & INWBers -

Here’s the year-end report for the 2019 round of the county year-list project. Full results posted here:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

[for those waiting for fresh excel checklists for 2020 - stay tuned, we’ve almost got it ready!]

This was the 13th year we’ve recruited compilers from every county to keep track of sightings. The idea behind the project is to get behind the fun of individual county listing to compile a ‘community’ list — rather than just birds seen by a single individual, we attempt to pull together birds seen by anyone over the course of the year. It provides one perspective on the birds of Washington in 2019.

Some results for 2019:
394 species were reported statewide. That’s just a little below average [394.7].
317 species for Eastern Washington. That’s two below last year, and our lowest eastern WA total for 13 years, six below our average [323.3].
372 species for Western Washington. That’s five better than last year, and seven higher than the overall average [364.8].

Record high totals were reported for seven counties: Asotin [221], Ferry [208], King [277], Klickitat [251], Mason [202], Walla Walla [267] and Whitman [228].

23 Counties came in with totals higher than last year, 16 came in lower.

32 counties had totals higher than their 2007-2019 average. The counties with the biggest variance from their average included Ferry [26], Clallam [+19], Klickitat [+19], Whitman [+18], San Juan [+17], Chelan [+15], King [+14], Mason [+13], Garfield [+13], and on the downside, Okanogan [-12].

Species:
77 species were seen in all 39 counties, 171 were seen in 30 or more counties. At the other end of the spectrum, 30 species were reported in only one county this year. 12 of those 30 species were seen only in either Clallam or Grayts Harbor County [split evenly between them] - they continue to be the rarity magnet for the state.

Surprising misses this year - the only missing species that are not a Washington Bird Records Committee review-list species were Elegant Tern, Mottled Petrel, White-tailed Kite, & Black-throated Sparrow.

In addition to the regular info at the link [http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>] , I've included a simple sheet that compiles the annual county totals for each county from 2007-2019-- if you'd like to see how any county has trended over the years, this is the sheet to study.

2020 compiling is underway, and I encourage you to look up the compiler for counties you bird in and send along unusual sightings -- most compilers are checking eBird reports already, but eBird still misses a good bit and we appreciate the help making sure we hear about these sightings. You can find a list of the compilers at the above link

Thanks to all the compilers who track each county, and here's to a fun and surprising 2020. If you notice anything not noted on the 2019 list, let us know and make a resolution to report your sightings to the compiler this year .

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA