[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 01-16-2020

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Jan 17 11:31:04 PST 2020

Tweeters,

With the week's snow melted and sunny skies, and although cool (40-44degF start-finish), the nine of us had a most enjoyable birding day at JBLM's Eagles Pride Golf Course. Bird-of-the-day was the HERMIT THRUSH, which was well seen by all and photographed, thanks to Ray Hansen. (Photo is in the eBird posting.) Because it is in the same vicinity, this bird is likely the one that we saw during the October and November bird walks, although missed in December. All the ducks except two were seen at the 9th hole pond: Hodge Lake was pretty much frozen over.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* February 20 (02/20/2020)

* March 19

* April 16

Anyone is welcome to join us!

32 species (+1 other taxa)

Gadwall 2

American Wigeon 3

Mallard 7

Ring-necked Duck 7

Anna's Hummingbird 2

Bald Eagle 1

Red-tailed Hawk 2

Red-breasted Sapsucker 2

Downy Woodpecker 4

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 13

Steller's Jay 18

California Scrub-Jay 3

American/Northwestern Crow 16

Black-capped Chickadee 9

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 19

Bushtit 3

Golden-crowned Kinglet 19

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1

Red-breasted Nuthatch 6

Brown Creeper 3

Pacific Wren 6

Bewick's Wren 1

European Starling 3

Varied Thrush 7

Hermit Thrush 1 In forested area across from Hodge Lake. Likely the same bird seen on the October and November bird walks next to Hodge Lake. (Photo courtesy of Ray Hansen.)

American Robin 21

House Finch 4

Dark-eyed Junco 11

Golden-crowned Sparrow 8