[Tweeters] Renton Glaucous Gull (King Cty.)

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Sun Jan 12 14:08:32 PST 2020

Hi, Tweets,

The seven immature Greater White-fronted Geese continue at Gene Coulon Park in Renton, hanging out with the Canadas.

After that check, I spent a couple hours around the mouth of the Cedar River at the south end of Lake Washington. At first, around 11:30, there wasn't much diversity in the couple dozen gulls. More slowly arrived, in ones and twos, and I eventually had eight species, plus hybrids. The surprise was a bright pale immature Glaucous Gull, which was still present when I left around 1:30. It's dark-tipped pink bill is even deeper than those of the Glaucous-wingeds. Otherwise, the spot is a pretty high-energy environment just now, with the high Cedar River pouring underfoot, and a cold wind variably above that. Between the high water and the eagles, duck diversity seems down, but some were hiding up the river.

12 January, 2020,

Alan Grenon
Seattle