[Tweeters] Okanogan/Douglas goodies

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 11 21:29:20 PST 2020

The 3 of us spent just over 3 days up in Douglas and Okanogan Co. Friday we stayed low because it snowed all day. This of course proved to be a blessing for Sharp-tailed Grouse which were easy to see on Saturday. Unfortunately, tomorrow will be a travelling day with very little birding due to the upcoming snow event. We didn't really see anything unusual and birding was sometimes slow. Here the highlights:

Barrow's Goldeneye, Eurasian Wigeon, 17 Snow Geese, 3 Greater White-fronted Geese at Walla Walla Point Park in Wentachee
Northern Goshawk (1 adult at Washburn Island)
Pine Grosbeak (1 bird along Nealey Rd in the Okanogan Highlands)
Snow Bunting (large flock of about 300 off Teas Rd in the Okanogan Highlands)
American Tree Sparrow (several at Grange & Moe at the Bridgeport Bar, several at Heritage Ln on the Waterville Plateau)
Sharp-tailed Grouse (8 along Bridgeport Hill Rd, 20+ at Scotch Creek WA en route to Conconully)
Gray Partridge (2 flocks along Conconully Rd at Scotch Creek Basin pullout)
Northern Sawwhet-Owl (1 at Bridgeport State Park)
Northern Pygmy-Owl (3 at various locations in the Okanogan Highlands)

3 dark-morph Rough-legged Hawks were nice. Clark's Nutcrackers were common in the Highlands and in Conconully. There were no Bohemian Waxwings anywhere which pretty much marks a first for me on a winter Okanogan trip.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR