birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 21:09:34 PST 2020

Tweets – 34 degrees and sleet doesn’t make for a great day. It did clear up by the time we got to the Rowing Club, but still... It was cold and wet and gray and pretty birdless.

Highlights:
a.. Ring-necked Duck – one male, near the windmill, first of the winter, and of course FOY
b.. -Ducks – 9 species total, including Hooded & Common Merganser, both FOY
c.. Ring-necked Pheasant – Lonesome George at the Pea Patch, FOY
d.. Green Heron – at the Rowing Club, FOY
e.. Great Horned Owl – Matt heard 1-2 near windmill really early, we saw one in the East Meadow 6:30ish, FOY
f.. Short-eared Owl – heard barking 4 times as it flew away from the Great Horned Owl – never seen, FOY
g.. Pileated Woodpecker – one flew right over us
h.. Northern Shrike – Near Viewing Mound
i.. Finches – ZERO
Passerines were generally few and far between.

We did manage 49 species, and I believe our year list is up to 60.

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com