[Tweeters] We'll miss Ken Knittle

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 14:46:55 PST 2020

Dear Tweeters,
What can anyone say--Ken Knittle was such an original. They broke the mold when they made him.
My silliest Ken Knittle story has to do with a shirtsleeve relative of my wife's. My late mother-in-law was always dredging up distant relatives who live in Washington. Sometimes it worked out, other times not so much. This particular relative was a man whom I met fifteen or twenty years ago. It turned out that he worked at the same correctional facility where Ken used to run the prison dairy.
I asked Mr. Shirtsleeve, "Oh, my birding friend Ken Knittle works there! Do you know him?"
"Sure I know Ken," replied Shirtsleeve. He's the guy who writes all the detective novels!"
Next time I saw Ken, I asked him about this. "Writing novels--no way! Heck, I've never READ one!"
Turns out the prison employee writing the novels had almost the exact same name as Ken.
Well, it wasn't as silly as the jokes Ken used to tell on birding trips, but close. Ken will be missed.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch