[Tweeters] one more Starling mimicry

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 17:23:00 PST 2020

Dear Tweeters,
There was one more thing that I've heard a European Starling imitate, which I forgot to include on my previous post. On 31 March 2008, at Alder Lake Park in Pierce County, I heard a Starling making a strange, three-note call. I finally decided that the bird was imitating...a cell-phone ring tone! That's not as cool as the Lyrebirds that David Attenborough filmed, as they imitated motorbikes and camera shutters, but still pretty amazing.
Even more surprising to me was the American Crow up in Concrete that I saw imitating a playground duty. The lady came from Maine, and she had quite a Down-east accent. She used to call out to the kids, "We walk, we walk!" That was her polite way of telling the little crumb-snappers to quit running on the sidewalk. Then one day, I caught a Crow calling out, "We walk, we walk!" The playground duty didn't even need to report for duty that afternoon!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch