[Tweeters] Grebe tangled in plastic at Blakely Harbor, B.I.

Jack Clinch clinch.jack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 18:03:15 PDT 2019

Hi all, reporting this here in case anyone has some knowledge (or
resources!) that might be helpful. Will try to update as I'm able to.

All afternoon today at Blakely Harbor there has been a grebe in the water
with what looks like part of a plastic six-pack ring tangled around their
neck. They were mostly swimming around in the center of the inner body of
water, behind the old dam structure there. As of 4:00 p.m., as I was
leaving the area, they were nearer to the south shore, where there is some
tree cover above the beach. The bird is completely occupied with the
tangle, shaking their head constantly and diving quickly to try to get it
off. They didn't look exhausted, and weren't slowing down their movements.

West Sound Wildlife Shelter doesn't have the resources to capture it out on
the water, although they can take it in and remove the plastic at their
office. DFW could, but might not be able to prioritize it.

I don't know how urgent the situation is for the bird, or how it might look
to capture it. Wanting to get the word out as soon as possible, though.
Call or email if you have a question/suggestion for me.

Thanks folks,

Jack Clinch
(425) 772-0452