[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 9/4/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:46:24 PDT 2019

Tweets,

Today 25 of us enjoyed a good day at Nisqually. We had an 11.8 high
tide at 10:25 so we decided to head out to the estuary dike in hopes
of catching shorebirds on the incoming tide.

It was a good plan but we got waylaid by a couple of mixed flocks that
slowed us down some. In these flocks we had YELLOW WARBLER,
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, WARBLING VIREO, HUTTON'S VIREO, BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEE, SONG SPARROW, BROWN CREEPER, and WESTERN TANAGER.

Out on the dike the water was pretty far in but we did manage to see
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, LEAST SANDPIPER, WESTERN SANDPIPER, and we had a
WILSON'S SNIPE flyover. We hear KILLDEER and GREATER YELLOWLEGS. We
also had OSPREY, BALD EAGLES and a COOPER'S HAWK in the area. A male
AMERICAN KESTRAL was hassling the shorebirds.

Water fowl are beginning to return with MALLARD, AMERICAN WIGEON,
NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and CINNAMON TEAL being present.

For the day I had 37 species and now have 112 for the year. Stay tuned
for Shep's ebird report that will give a details list including the
estuary boardwalk sightings.

The only mammals I saw were HARBOR SEALS in McAllister Creek.

Until nest week when Shep will lead....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA