[Tweeters] Bird Migration Is Written In Their Genes

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 05:23:44 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

as migration is winding down for the year, I thought you might be
interested to learn that birds use several different strategies to follow
their migration routes. The first strategy is for young-of-the-year to
learn their route and final destination from their parents in autumnal
migration, as seen in waterfowl and shorebirds. The second strategy is
rather mysterious, and has been know to basically result from a bird's
genes. (But which genes?) This strategy is relied upon by many small
songbirds.

It may interest you to learn that a recent study came out that identifies a
gene -- actually, just ONE gene variant -- as playing a big role in
migration in neotropical warblers.

you can read more about this study, this gene and how the researchers
figured this out in this piece i wrote for Forbes:

Bird Migration Is Written In Their Genes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2019/10/25/bird-migration-is-written-in-their-genes/
tinyURL: https://tinyurl.com/y2ow9td8

As always, thank you for reading, and for sharing my work widely amongst
your birdie colleagues, on social media, and on twitter.

--
GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
grrlscientist at gmail.com
Blogs: Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/> | Medium
<https://medium.com/@GrrlScientist>
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt. [Virgil, Aeneid]