[Tweeters] Skagit Elephant Seal, off-topic

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 19:59:44 PDT 2019

Dear Tweeters,
Today (22 October) at Rosario Head, there were new, temporary signs, reminding people of the laws protecting pinnipeds. At the picnic spot on the little isthmus, near the statue of the Indian maiden, there was a semicircle of orange traffic cones. Snuggled up next to the wooden rail fence was an elephant seal pup, hence the signage and conage! People were being good about giving this wayward animal space. One would hope that continues.
Nearby, a covey of 17 California Quail included the famous leucistic one, giving great views as they foraged by the picnic tables!
Later, on Samish Flats, I saw my first Rough-legged Hawks of the season, at the West Ninety, and my first Short-eared Owl of the season, at the East Ninety.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch