[Tweeters] Preventing bird collisions

Ruth Richards rgrichards7 at icloud.com
Sun Oct 20 20:24:32 PDT 2019

The paint pens are called Posca Pens - any good art or craft store should have them. And, we tried a different brand before we found Posca; they weren’t as good, so it’s worth finding Poscas.

They come in a variety of widths. We used a PC-5M for the first attempt, because that was the recommendation, and we weren’t sure how it would be to look through the window once it is striped. We’d recommend a slightly thicker line for a bit of extra insurance. We have a PC-7M that we’ll try next.

We used a straight edge after measuring the window for vertical lines about 3.5” apart, on the exterior surface.
Because our feeders are set away from the house and there’s a lot of brush nearby, we hadn’t been getting many strikes that killed, but we would get a collision now and then. Since striping the windows, we’ve had none. And, one becomes accustomed to looking through the window and barely noticing the striping after a while. The fact that it is effective makes it easy to love!

Ruth Richards

> On Oct 20, 2019, at 3:38 PM, c.boatsman at comcast.net wrote:


> There was a list last week about how to prevent bird collisions with windows. I watched the video. I think the type of pen used to draw the lines on the window was not specified. Anyone know? Also brief review of how to mark the windows would be appreciated. Have others tried it? Thank you.


> _______________________________________________

> Tweeters mailing list

> Tweeters at u.washington.edu

> http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/tweeters

More information about the Tweeters mailing list