[Tweeters] White-headed Woodpecker, Sleeping Lady

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Tue Oct 15 06:04:36 PDT 2019

Hi Tweets,

My partner and I got great looks at a female White-headed Woodpecker yesterday afternoon around 5 pm at Sleeping Lady near Leavenworth. After having searched for this woodpecker during the day, we were inside the Salmon Gallery/Chapel Theater when Rob spotted the bird just a few feet away through the big window. After a little while we went outside, and were able to observe her for perhaps 20 minutes and could easily have tracked her for longer; she wasn’t apparently bothered by our proximity, and at one point she even flew directly toward me and alighted maybe 3’ above my head in the tree I was standing next to.

Photo on the Western Washington Birders Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10221078713303412&set=gm.2303462449964780&type=3&theater&ifg=1.

(I’m having trouble accessing my Flickr page to upload the photo there, but if you’re not on FB and want to see the photo, just let me know and I’ll send it to you.)

Good birding to all,
Trileigh